• Breaking News

    Thursday, June 4, 2020

    Portal It's my cake day so I thought I would post the game I completed today - Portal Stories: Mel. I am really happy, it's the first game I have completed everything of without cheats. :)

    Portal It's my cake day so I thought I would post the game I completed today - Portal Stories: Mel. I am really happy, it's the first game I have completed everything of without cheats. :)


    It's my cake day so I thought I would post the game I completed today - Portal Stories: Mel. I am really happy, it's the first game I have completed everything of without cheats. :)

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 05:10 PM PDT

    Yay! It finally arrived.

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 01:49 PM PDT

    I have no idea to fix this place

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 05:41 AM PDT

    starting to model a companion cube

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 10:40 PM PDT

    I have no idea how I did it, but I did it...

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 06:19 PM PDT

    Discovered this visual glitch while making a test

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 12:09 PM PDT

    So I make a portal gun and companion cube, hope you like it

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 10:17 AM PDT

    Ask GLaDOS (almost) Anything

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 05:58 PM PDT

    Hello r/Portal! I've been dabbling with modifying my voice to sound like GLaDOS, and now (foolishly feeling confident), I reach out to you guys. Mods, if this isn't allowed, I apologize and will remove if needed!

    Is there anything you want to ask GLaDOS, and have her respond? To hear her snarky, sarcastic remarks? I want to make a video of her responding to questions!

    If you don't want your username in the video, please let me know in the comment and I will redact it. :D

    Thank you guys and gals in advance for giving me something to dabble with!

    submitted by /u/EllePhyre
    [link] [comments]

    I thought this might be wanted here.

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 08:06 PM PDT

    Some more progress on Lego GLaDOS, one piece of armor (?) done now, still need to figure out the bits on top of it/inside of it. She is upside down btw in the photo.

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 08:00 PM PDT

    Look closely, middle of the image. You guys remember those little turret figurines you can buy? Sadly the originals are lost forever, but you can totally still order the series IV turrets off Walmart.

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 07:07 PM PDT

    My birthday was a while ago, forgot to post this.

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 09:05 PM PDT

    Aperture done nothing but teleported bread for 3 days

    Posted: 04 Jun 2020 03:12 AM PDT

    Spaaace!

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 07:01 AM PDT

    I was playing a game called sorry james and I found this Easter egg

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 09:45 PM PDT

    A level I made playing on the idea of the room is building around you when you walk in.

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 08:00 AM PDT

    My dream Portal 3

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 12:11 PM PDT

    Disclaimer: This is my dream Portal 3. I know this will most likely not be the game we may eventually get. I don't even know if what I'm wishing for would be a good Portal game. But dreaming is fun !

    Almost 10 years after Portal 2 was published, Valve seems at last to be making new ambitious games. While Portal 2 is one of my favorite games, I think that it perfects its genre of linear and story-driven puzzle game so well that it would be disappointing if Valve just reused the same formula without giving it a twist.

    The videogame landscape has changed a lot since 2011. We've had awesome games from which inspiration could be taken. That's why i've been thinking about the way the Portal formula could be modernized and built upon.

    The puzzle box design

    The Legend of Zelda : Breath of the Wild has been praised a lot for its open-ended take on game design. The game's shrines (byte-size dungeons scattered across the map) have often been compared to Portal test chambers. However I feel like this comparison is not accurate : Portal offers linear and intricate puzzles that have one intended solution, while Zelda's puzzles have multiple solutions. One game rewards player logical thinking while the other rewards creativity.

    The big difference lies in the tools that are given to the player. In Portal, all you get in your arsenal is the ability to carry objects and create portals. The other game mechanics (gels, bridges, ...) are given on a room basis. In Zelda, it's quite the opposite: you get a wide set of tools and it yours to decide which ability to use at any moment. You get to play with the physics of the game and once you overcome a puzzle you truly feel like you outsmarted the game.

    I would like to see Portal take a side-step towards a similar, more open-ended design for its puzzle. The shortcoming of Zelda's puzzles is that they're not very intricate and often require no more than a handful of steps to solve. But Valve's game designers having done an excellent job in linear puzzles, I would be thrilled to see them perfect the puzzle box game design.

    Imagine if more features were given to Chell through the portal gun: shooting gel, using a gravity gun... Having to consciously choose when to use which ability instead of following the predetermined flow of the puzzle would be great !

    Difficulty progression : is linearity a fatality ?

    The biggest issue with Zelda's shrines (and ironically, one of the game's strengths) is the fact that they can be played completely out of order, preventing any difficulty progression in the puzzles. This would obviously not work in a game as reliant on puzzles as Portal.

    However, seeing a linear succession of rooms would contradict the player agency introduced in the new open puzzle design. Moreover I feel like the most linear sections in Portal 2 are the most boring.

    The Metroidvania genre : rewarding progression

    What if Portal took inspiration from the metroidvania genre ? This genre has grown in popularity recently with many 2D titles receiving praise for using this formula. I think we don't have enough 3D metroidvania games, and Portal could be a good fit for the genre.

    Abilities could be gradually given to the player as they progress through the game, allowing access to previously unreachable areas. Aside from the individual puzzle rooms, the map could be a puzzle in itself as you have to find a way to progress in it (else than just looking for the next portal surface). Imagine blasting through rooms you have already solved thanks to an ability you didn't have then !

    The game could require a little more exploration and observation, and is a great opportunity to introduce environmental storytelling, which Valve does so well.

    TL;DR

    What I would like to see in a potential next Portal game

    • More open-ended puzzle rooms with multiple solutions
    • A wider arsenal of tools for the player to toy with
    • Puzzle difficulty on par with Portal 1 & 2
    • A metroidvania-style progression

    What do you think ? What's your dream Portal game ?

    submitted by /u/EuhCertes
    [link] [comments]

    since they didnt appreciate it im posting it here

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 03:09 PM PDT

    brrrrr

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 08:56 PM PDT

    Who's Your Favorite Robot In Portal

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 04:51 PM PDT

    Mine's Between Atlas,Glados, and Virgil

    View Poll

    submitted by /u/Drift7790
    [link] [comments]

    Huge success!

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 06:41 AM PDT

    Completed portal unity, tell me what other Portal mods I should try.

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 11:13 AM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment