• Breaking News

    Wednesday, July 8, 2020

    Portal I literally found a post about this from 9 years ago so yes I know how much it’s been reposted. But I have an answer. (Check comments.)

    Portal I literally found a post about this from 9 years ago so yes I know how much it’s been reposted. But I have an answer. (Check comments.)


    I literally found a post about this from 9 years ago so yes I know how much it’s been reposted. But I have an answer. (Check comments.)

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 11:44 PM PDT

    Did this:

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 05:47 PM PDT

    CURSED!!!

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 07:03 PM PDT

    Vaporwave Aperture Laboratories Wallpaper [3840 x 2160]

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 05:11 AM PDT

    portal 2 custom steam icon i put together

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 11:23 AM PDT

    Portal. Based off a true story.

    Posted: 08 Jul 2020 02:14 AM PDT

    Got a picture of my neighbour car today, decided to edit it a tiny bit :P

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 02:31 PM PDT

    "Suspension" by me

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 02:57 PM PDT

    Cool short story for whoever is interested.

    Posted: 08 Jul 2020 03:08 AM PDT

    One of my dad's college friends got to help make this game. His name is Marc Nagel(his name is found in the credits of Portal 2). He, along with some of his other friends, were early game testers. Ever since Portal came out, its given me more interests to video games, puzzles, and the personalities of different character. It also helped me create a stronger bond with my dad.

    Unfortunately, now that Valve is out of business, I'll never get to know what that was like. I hope a lot of people can have the same type of experience that the employees of Valve did, because from what I've heard, it was life changing.

    Welp...Thank you for giving me a little time in your day!👋

    PS: I wish a great day😁

    submitted by /u/TheNarwhalGasper
    [link] [comments]

    Chell inked

    Posted: 08 Jul 2020 01:34 AM PDT

    Is there an arbitrary computation community for Portal 2?

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 11:14 PM PDT

    Is there an arbitrary computation community for Portal 2?

    Arbitrary computation in Portal 2 seems pretty feasible using the laser emitter-receiver system. Since one laser can trigger or disable another laser, a variety of logic gates are possible.

    Anyone else working on this stuff?

    Linking a receiver to a "start enabled" emitter creates a NOT gate. Linking two receivers to an emitter creates AND. This is already a functionally complete set (i.e. arbitrary logic circuits are possible using only these gates).

    Other possibilities for simple gates are OR (two emitters aimed at one receiver using angles or reflective blocks) and NAND (two receivers to a "start enabled" emitter). NAND on its own is functionally complete.

    Memory is implementable within the laser-emitter mechanics by activating an emitter that feeds back onto the receiver that activates it. The laser then sustains itself, retaining a memory of the original input. Here's a puzzle I built based on this mechanic: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2157194101

    (spoilers on the puzzle's solution by the way)

    So a short pulse can be used to store a bit. The bit will be flipped back (the laser turned off) if the loop is momentarily broken: This can be done by having two receivers feeding into the emitter; #1 for the loop, #2 being fed by a "start enabled" emitter. Disabling this last emitter, even momentarily, breaks the loop and returns our memory bit to "off". If the emitter is NOT-gated to another receiver, this can also be done with lasers.

    I haven't published this as a test chamber, but here are some images from an implementation I did. The flip-panel display is a superfluous bit of flair but it makes it more obvious.

    1) Start condition. Bit is set to zero. 2) We activate the \"on\" receiver. Bit flips to 1. 3) We remove the signal. Bit stays on. 4) We activate the \"off\" receiver. Bit flips back to zero. 5) No more signal, but the bit stays off.

    Clocks are also possible. The simplest implementation of a pulsing signal is to feed a laser into receiver that turns it off. This makes the laser pulse at a very high frequency (probably every frame but I haven't checked how Portal 2 does laser detection). This seems a little fast for me, but as a computer clock it might be optimal if you actually wanted to run a program on a Portal-built computer in reasonable time.

    You can get a slower pulse by having the laser activate a moving object that, when activated, blocks the laser. Once the signal is blocked the object deactivates and moves back, unblocking it again. Then the cycle repeats.

    I used a more involved version of this second idea, with multiple lasers activating sequential angled platforms, to create a cycling 7-state clock chamber. Here it is: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2157197767

    Each state activates different game elements

    Bit of a Return of the Jedi shield-generator vibe

    This is as far as I've gotten. I'm not a comp-sci person but I've been surprised that I couldn't find anyone already doing this. Am I retreading old ground? Is this pond already fished? What have people been able to build?

    A couple points if you want to do this yourself:

    1) In the in-game level builder, you run into the "too many objects" wall pretty fast. This can be helped a bit by making sure you disable all the ant-lines (they're surprisingly costly), but it definitely imposes a hard limit that doesn't seem to be there in, say, Minecraft. I'm not sure if other level builders like Bee2 and Hammer have this limitation.

    2) I've run into some weird behaviours, especially from reflective blocks, as I add more and more lasers. At some point they seem to just stop working altogether. I'm not sure why this is, but fair warning if you try to incorporate them yourself.

    TL; DR: I'm trying to make a computer in Portal 2. Anyone else?

    submitted by /u/acapellascience
    [link] [comments]

    The portal outlier (more in comments)

    Posted: 08 Jul 2020 04:24 AM PDT

    portal 1 custom animated steam icon

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 11:21 AM PDT

    Portal for people who haven't played games before

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 11:15 PM PDT

    After watching Portal Retrospective, I've been thinking of introducing my mum to videogames through Portal. Which game would you think would be more friendly for someone who has never played videogames before?

    submitted by /u/ExxiIon
    [link] [comments]

    Chell sketch

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 02:37 PM PDT

    How to add skins to the portal gun in Portal 1?

    Posted: 08 Jul 2020 04:22 AM PDT

    Schrodinger Cubes

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 03:08 PM PDT

    Schrodinger Cubes

    They are quite fun to mess around with. I wonder what puzzles people will come up with them...

    Schrodinger Cubes (Left). Laser Redirection Cube (Right)

    submitted by /u/Mystical_Ace
    [link] [comments]

    I know a lot of you have probably seen this allready, but if you havent, GO SUPPORT THIS THING

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 03:40 PM PDT

    I know this has probably been answered but what the heck happens after the end of portal 2

    Posted: 08 Jul 2020 01:54 AM PDT

    What happens to Chell Glados? Considering this takes place in the half life universe how does chell survive, or does she not?

    submitted by /u/Just-Kam-Is-Fine
    [link] [comments]

    I didn't know the game I was most hyped about was 7 years old.

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 03:40 PM PDT

    Soo...till a few months ago I didn't know that portal 2 was released in 2011. In 2017 I played the first portal game and some mods and me and my friend (that is a portal fanboy) were hyped about portal 2. The thing was...that in 2018 we were still watching portal 2 trailers and teasers...and ...in the last 2 years...we thought that portal 2 was a new game. I even did research for a school project and I needed details about the game, when was it released, what is it about etc. but even then, when I searched informations..my friend and I still didn't know that the game was released .

    Oh..and I remind you that he was obsessed with the portal series. He knew every detail of the story, every Easter egg and all of that. So how did we not know about the existence of the game that we were the most hyped about. The fact that it was already 7 years old...and we newer knew. I mean...I bought the game in 2 January 2019 and till 2 month ago...I didn't know the real release date.

    https://imgur.com/a/CK1Mpf7 https://imgur.com/a/QIvwjbl

    submitted by /u/ArdeiIutee
    [link] [comments]

    I'm having problems with a console command in Portal 2

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 01:55 PM PDT

    I tried using the command cl_forwardspeed to change my movement speed, but it doesn't work if I set a higher value than the default 175. It works perfectly when I set it to less than 175, it even works when I set it to 0, but for some reason I just can't make myself faster. Please comment if you have any ideas on what I can do to fix this, I'll try to answer as soon as possible to any questions or suggestions.

    submitted by /u/BigYoshiMan
    [link] [comments]

    In portal 2 when GLaDOS says she had to relive her last 2 minutes of life, it was a really long time.

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 02:06 PM PDT

    First of all, you wake up after 50 days for a physical exam and then wake up after a long time after going back to sleep. About 274 years later (99,999 days is what it said but it is probably more) Chell wakes up. Let's round it up to 275 years to make it easier. There are 525,600 minutes in a year so if we divide that by 2 we get the number of times GLaDOS relives the last 2 minutes of her life. 262,800 times a year. That makes it 72,270,000 for 275 years. Of course it was probably more than 275 years because of any unknown time in between portal and portal 2 along with the fact that the whole amount of time was too long to be announced. For all we know it could have been 999,999 days or 2740 years (720,072,000 total times of suffering for GLaDOS). If I did any math wrong or if you have anything to add, please comment about it in this thread.

    submitted by /u/RN_FADED
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment